Here’s a detailed guide to get your tax identification number.
In this guide, I’m going to work you through the same processes I followed to get a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).
You will learn about everything you need to know, the required documents, how long it took me to get the number and the best place to apply for the TIN.
But, before we dive in, let’s step back to the beginning.
You Might Also Like: The Top 15 Small Business Challenges and How to Navigate Them
What exactly is TIN?
The Taxpayer Identification Number is a unique number that is assigned to duly registered individuals and companies which identifies them as taxpayers in Nigeria.
Why do you need TIN?
For one, the Nigerian law mandates individuals and businesses to file their tax returns. The taxpayer identification number is the only way to link your tax payments to you since you will have to quote the digits in all your tax-related transactions.
Other reasons why you need to get your TIN include:
- If you are chasing a government contract
- You want to obtain a loan from financial houses
- You’re opening a corporate bank account
- You want to register a vehicle
- To obtain a certificate of occupancy
You may also like: How the FG’s New Finance bill Will Affect Your Business
How much will it cost to get a TIN?
It is free to apply for a TIN. You don’t have to pay any fees when applying for a TIN by yourself.
Is there a difference between JTB and FIRS TIN?
The Joint Tax Board (JTB) TIN is a 10-digit tax identifier which is designed to replace the FIRS TIN. It is uniform, unique and not limited to only FIRS taxpayers.
Recommended For You: Steady Streams Of Organic Leads to Grow Your Business
How to get your Tax Identification Number as an individual
If you are a non-corporate taxpayer, here are the steps to obtain your TIN.
According to the JTB:
Individuals are automatically assigned with a TIN based on their BVN (Bank Verification Number) or NIN (National Identity Number). To get a TIN as an individual, you need to have a NIN or BVN.
To verify your individual TIN, use this link >> Verify
Then, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Select your Date of Birth.
- Step 2: Select your preferred search criteria from the Select Criteria Dropdown–TIN or NIN or BVN or Registered Phone Number
- Step 3: Provide the appropriate value based on the search criteria in Step 2 above
- Step 4. Confirm you are not a robot by checking the reCAPTCHA Box
- Step 5: Click the Search button
Side Note: When I tried to verify my Individual TIN, it showed record not found. See the image below, so you may experience the same issue too.
How to get your Tax Identification Number in Nigeria Online
If you are a corporate taxpayer, there are two ways to get a TIN – you can either visit the nearest FIRS office or use the online portal to request for a tax identification number.
In this section, I’ll work you through the process of requesting for a TIN online.
Step 1: Visit Apply for TIN
Step 2: Under the Non-Individual heading you will see a link. Click on it. Or use this link to go directly to the request form. Form
Step 3: Fill out the form. The fields with the * asterisks are compulsory. Be sure to complete the form with accurate information about your business.
Step 4: Hit the ‘Submit’ to request for a TIN
The TIN takes up to 48 hours to generate. So you may want to check the functional email address you provided for your TIN details.
You may also decide to request fort the TIN offline. In which case, you will have to visit the nearest FIRS office.
Keep in mind though, it might take up to 5 days to get the TIN when you apply offline.
Recommended For You: Free Business Templates to Streamline Your Workflow
TIN registration requirements
When applying for the TIN, be sure to keep the following documents within reach:
- A duly completed VAT Form 001 – to be filled by the Taxpayer
- A duly completed INPUT form – to be filled by the Taxpayer
- An application letter for VAT/TIN registration. It should be typed on company letterhead and addressed to the nearest FIRS office.
- Original certification of registration (Business name, incorporation) and other relevant documents for sighting.
- Photocopies of certification of registration and other relevant documents
- Means of identification ( National ID card, Valid Driver’s license or International passport)
- Utility bill (Original and photocopy)
- A functional email address
Wrapping up: A detailed guide to get your tax identification number
With the new tax law excepted to come into force in the early part of January 2020 and the restrictions it will pose for individuals without a TIN, we hope this guide will help you start and complete the process of obtaining a Tax Identification Number.
Have any questions or need help with your TIN application? Leave a comment below or use the Contact us form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
Recommended For You: 10 Available Business Grants In Nigeria to Expand Your Business
Hand-Picked For You:
- FAQs: How to Start a Business In 2022
- FAQs: How to Grow Your Business In 2022
- FAQs: How to Fund Your Business In 2022